10 Maintenance Things Every Driver Should Know
When it comes to your vehicle, keeping up on the maintenance means a longer life on the Syosset roadways and fewer issues along the way. Routine maintenance, while mostly done in a service center, can also be done at home if you know what to look for. We have a list of 10 automotive maintenance tips to help you check your vehicle at home. And when it’s time for a bigger maintenance check, look at your model’s owner’s manual to see the recommended automotive maintenance schedule, and contact our service center!
What You Need To Know
- Know the Manual: The owner’s manual to your vehicle is the key to helping you check everything properly and be able to keep your vehicle running smoothly for longer.
- Inspect the Vehicle: Review the owner’s manual to learn about the things you should be able to identify. Soon you’ll be able to notice signs of leaks, flat tires, and more that you can have fixed before it becomes more serious.
- Check Your Tires: Invest in a tire pressure gauge. This is a tool that makes monitoring your vehicle’s tire pressure a breeze. Test your tires to ensure they are at the recommended levels and check the tread for signs of wear at home using a penny. When you place the penny with Lincoln’s head facing down, if you can see all of the head, your tires need to be replaced.
- Check the Engine Oil Level: This oil helps reduce friction, overheating, and excessive wear in the engine. Use the owner’s manual to locate the dipstick so you can check the oil levels. Also, keep in mind to check the color of the oil. A darker color indicated a change is needed.
- Check the Engine Coolant: Again, you’ll want to utilize your owner’s manual to determine where the coolant reservoir is located. Then simply make sure the coolant levels are where they need to be.
- Inspect the Engine Air Filter: The engine air filter should be checked regularly to make sure there’s no debris clogging the filter. If it’s clogged or dirty, be sure to replace it
- Use the Right Fuel: Each model has a recommended octane rating. Pay attention to this rating when filling up at the pump. Using a lower level octane fuel can cause a ‘knocking’ sound.
- Inspect Light Bulbs: Being able to see at night and having others be able to see you is important. Routinely check each bulb and replace the ones that aren’t properly working.
- Inspect the Windshield Wipers: There’s nothing worse than driving in bad weather conditions when your windshield wipers aren’t working properly to help you see. Learn how to check if your vehicle’s windshield wipers are working properly as well as how to replace them.
- Keep Track of Maintenance: Whether this means writing down the last time you brought your model in for an oil change or when you last changed the bulbs, it’s important to keep track of when these tasks were completed so you can better manage future routine maintenance checks.
Learn More at Acura of Huntington
Keep your vehicle’s maintenance in check when you learn how to perform these simple checks at home. If you need help or if there’s something you need help replacing, you can always schedule a service appointment with us at Acura of Huntington. Our technicians are standing by to help get you back on the Melville roads in no time. We even have service specials to make your appointment more affordable. Contact us today!
Acura is a luxury automaker with a long and storied history. As a part of the larger Japanese Honda brand, Acura focuses on creating luxury SUVs, sedans, and coupes all around the world. Here at Acura of Huntington, our dealers love everything Acura, including the automaker’s history, and we would like to share some of our favorite…
Regular wheel alignments are an important part of vehicle health. Get a wheel alignment here at the Acura service center at Acura of Huntington.
If you haven’t noticed, crossover and SUVs are two of the most popular types of vehicle these days. Families and commuters alike near Bay Shore, NY are choosing them for their combination of utility, spaciousness, fun-to-drive nature, and long list of safety and tech features. Here at Acura of Huntington, our dealers don’t think you…